We are a group of approximately ten families that currently have loved ones serving in the United States Military.
We gather as a support group to offer each other moral support, exchange information and promote awareness about our local military. We support all our BRAVE men and women in all branches of the service. We welcome you to come visit!
If you have a loved one or relative serving in the middle east during the Holiday season, please email or contact us so that we can send them a card and care package. Please provide us with their name & unit address.
Please participate in our "2012 Holiday Card Drive" for our U.S. Military serving in the Middle East.
October 1st, 2012 through November 20th, 2012
Send your greetings to our local troops who are currently serving in the Middle East.
Our Guidelines are listed below:
- Remember that each card may be read by many service members.
- Cards may be homemade or store bought.
- Do NOT Put cards in envelopes. No Postage needed.
- All Cards & messages should be appropriate.
- Cards will be screened for security & sensitive issues.
- You may request a pen pal.
- Please sign all cards.
- NO ENVELOPES please - they just make the packages heavier and the shipping cost much higher.
- Food Items: Snack crackers in packs, Tootsie pops/ blow pops, Candy (except chocolate in summer months), Instant coffee / Tea bags, Drink mixes for water bottle / canteen, Granola bars / snack bars, Gum, Peanuts / snack mixes in bags, Beef jerky, Ramen noodle soups.
- Personal Items: Toothbrushes & Toothpaste, Deodorant, Shaving Creme, Hand sanitizer, Hand wipes, Shampoo, Body wash, Aspirin products (over the counter), Lip Balm, Sunscreen.
- Other Items: New DVD's & CD's, Magazines, Writing paper, Pens, Envelopes, Bandanas, Non-Aerosol bug spray, Puzzle books, Playing cards, Small squirt guns, Small nerf balls, Batteries (AA, AAA, D)
- No Flammables, Glass or Aerosol's!
Please mail cards and items to:
P.O. BOX 223
KEEDYSVILLE, MD 21756
Donations are accepted. It cost $7,107.15 in 2011 to mail everything!
- We were founded in March 2003 and our first meeting was on April 4, 2003.
- We represent families from Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard.
- We are located in the Hagerstown, Maryland area - although we represent our local 4 state area, Maryland, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Virginia.
- Our meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Thursdays each month (June through Sept it's only the first Thursday of each month) at St. James Catholic Church at Ford Ave. and Main St. in Boonsboro Maryland.
- We hold fundraising events throughout the year to support our annual "Holiday Card Drive for the Troops" project.
- We ask for donations for our patriotic magnets, ribbons, pins and bows.
- We have participated in the Sharpsburg Memorial Day Parade 2003.
- "Celebration in the Park - July 4th" 2003 & 2004
- "Boonsboro Days" 2004
- Fundraising events at our local Wal-Mart, Autozone, and churches.
- Holiday Card Drive for Our Troops 2003 - We sent 13,211 cards to over 35 service members serving in the Middle East.
- 2004 - We were very blessed to have national coverage from the Agape Press and our local media. We heard from folks all over the USA! We received 36,958 cards and well wishes to send to 70 service members currently serving in the Middle East & Cuba.
- In 2009 We sent 80,360 Cards to 90 Service Members & their units.
- In 2010 We sent 103,677 Cards (632 boxes) to 104 Service Members & their units.
- In 2011 We sent 116,238 Cards (584 boxes) to 98 Service Members & their units.
- We raised enough funds to send calling cards, Christmas candy, and prayer cards!
Donations for mailing costs, phone cards, and holiday candy are all needed and greatly appreciated (2011 mailing cost was $7,107.15).
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!! REMEMBER OUR TROOPS!!!
We have been extremely blessed as a group! We appreciate all those who have supported our effort. We are very proud of our loved ones currently serving our country! Please remember to Support Our Troops!!! May God Bless our Military and their families.
The South Washington County Military Support Group